- 225g unbleached bread flour
- 200g unbleached all-purpose flour
- 30g sugar
- 30g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 TBSP instant yeast
- 1½ tsp salt
- 270g milk, 72ºF
- In a stand mixer bowl, add dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- If mixing by hand, combine in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and all the milk at once.
- In a mixer, mix until dough is smooth and well developed, about 8 minutes.
- If mixing by hand, place dough onto a clean surface and knead the dough until it is well developed, about 10-12 minutes.
- If the dough seems too stiff, add ½ tsp water at a time to soften dough.
- Shape the dough into a ball.
- Place dough in a bowl that’s twice as large as the dough ball. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size. (You can heat your oven to 150ºF for 1 minute, turn it off, then place the bowl in the oven.
- Divide dough into 45g pieces, about 16 or so. Round into balls.
- Cover lightly with plastic wrap, let rest about 10 minutes.
- Re-roll into tight balls and place on parchment-lined sheet pan.
- FOR KNOTS: roll each ball into an 8-inch log. Watch video to shape into double knots.
- Place on a parchment-lined sheet pan.
- Cover lightly with plastic wrap, let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- Brush with egg wash. (1 egg mixed well with 1 TBSP water)
- Sprinkle with seeds, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Bake rolls for 12 -14 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- If wanting to freeze the rolls, bake only to a light brown and rolls are set. When cool, wrap and freeze. To serve, let thaw completely, bake in a 350ºF oven for about 5 minutes, or until golden brown.