Tart Dough Ingredients
- 100g sugar
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 40g eggs
- 200g unbleached all-purpose flour
- Cream sugar and butter until smooth and well blended.
- Add eggs and beat until incorporated.
- Add flour and mix on low to blend.
- If dough is too soft to roll, chill 20 minutes.
- Roll out tart dough and place into a 9 or 10-inch tart pan or mini tartlet pans.
- Bake at 375º 8-14 minutes or until tart dough is golden brown.
Pastry Cream Filling
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 TBSP cornstarch
- 30g sugar
- 340g whole milk
- 55g sugar
- 45g unsalted butter
- 40g eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks, cornstarch, and 30g sugar until smooth. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring the milk and 55g of sugar to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour yolk mixture into milk in a steady stream, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil over medium low heat, stirring, and boil a minute or two until mixtures thickens.
- Remove from heat. If pastry cream has any lumps, sieve.
- Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Place in a shallow pan, and cover the top of the cream with a buttered sheet of plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate until cold.
- To use, pipe or spread into pre-baked tart shells.
- Top with fresh fruit.
- Instead of using extract, scrape the beans out of a vanilla bean pod into the pastry cream for a more intense flavor.