- 150g water
- 75g unsalted butter
- 110 unbleached all-purpose flour
- 150g eggs
- Bring water and butter to a boil to melt butter.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in flour all at once.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture coats the bottom of the pan. Only a minute or two.
- Place dough in stand mixer bowl. Let mixer run 1 minute to cool mixture.
- If mixing by hand, place in a large bowl.
- Add eggs in 3 stages, beating well after each addition until completely incorporated.
- If mixing by hand, use a spoon to mix, not a whisk.
- ONLY add as many eggs as needed to make a medium dough. The dough should hold its shape.
- Pipe mounds unto parchment-lined pans.
- Bake at 400ºF for 20-45 minutes depending on the size. Bake mini shapes for less time. All shapes should be medium brown before removing from oven. Don’t underbake or they will collapse.
- Cool completely before filling. Can be frozen, unfilled for up to two months.
- Slice in half. Fill with whipped cream.
- Depending on the shapes and sizes, you can make cream puffs from the round shapes, appetizers from mini round shapes, and eclairs from oblong shapes. Because the dough is unsweetened, it can be used for a savory base, too.